02 December 2009

Four Years

On November 26th, 2005, I attended the wedding of my best friend. I happened to be one of his best men, and was enjoying the cool Fall evening after the wedding ceremony with some of my friends who were also guests and a couple who were also best men. I do not recall what we talked about, but all I remember was that I laughed a lot that evening and had a great time. In fact, I remember that I had caught the garter during the reception that evening in such a manner that even a ninja would have approved in its stealthiness and agility.
During the reception, while us guys were outside laughing and carrying-on, I received a phone call from another friend, letting me know that she was having a party and a special someone that I've had an eye for was going to be there as well. I leapt for joy in my tuxedo (figuratively speaking, of course), but that fire of excitement was squelched by a unhappy knowledge: I had gotten to this wedding in the same car as the groom and the other best men and had no means of transportation from Fallbrook, where the wedding was being held, to Temecula, where the party was just getting started.
After I hung up the phone, the groom, my best friend, asked what the call was all about, probably reading the look of disappointment on my face. I told him about the party, and that someone I wanted to ask out was going to be there, but I had no way of getting there. Knowing how much I wanted to talk to her from previous conversations with him, he merely gave me a smile and said "Don't worry, we'll get you there. I think its getting time to wrap things up anyway. [We've] still got to drive down to San Diego." As he said, the festivities began to draw to a close and in no time we all were on a limo bus to Temecula where I would get off, quickly wave goodbye and give my congrats, and speed off to the party.
I managed to make it there, and although I only had a tuxedo on and no change of clothes, I still managed to enjoy my time there. I built up enough courage to ask that special someone out to dinner and a movie (Aeon Flux), got her cell number (she did not get mine until much later that night since I had, in my cheery mood, forgotten to give it to her, but I texted it to her), and walked away with a huge smile on my face at the end of the night. Later that week, we talked about what time we would go and see Aeon Flux.
Friday, December 2nd, 2005 came and after work and school, I got ready for my date and met her at the Edwards Cinema at the Promenade Mall in Temecula to see Aeon Flux. My arrival was perfect... okay, not really. On my way to our meeting spot, I had accidentally rubbed my leg against a truck's tow hitch in the parking lot, which I did not know but had been laden with grease, which had rubbed off onto my pant leg. Walking up in what had to be the most bizarre of ways, I met up with an obviously nervous, but beautiful young woman who looked at me funny and laughed in a "oh my God, what a dork" kind of way as I tried to explain to her what had happened. Regardless, we got our tickets, watched and enjoyed the movie, and began walking around the mall as I took her to the sushi restaurant Love Boat. Seeing as she had never had sushi before, I reassured her that it wasn't what her preconceived notions of sushi were and advised her on a dish that I enjoyed myself.
Needless to say, she enjoyed it and we found ourselves quite comfortable talking to each other about the movie and hundreds of different things that to this day I can not remember. In fact, after dinner, we walked back into the mall to the Starbucks and had coffee there, continuing to talk until the mall was about to close, where I drove her all the way home.
We spent that night talking even more, laughing and thoroughly enjoying each other's company until I noticed that it was quite late and that I had to return home since I had work the next morning. I told her that I had a great time that night, and she reassured me that she did as well, and we both agreed that we should probably do it again some time. I drove home that evening very tired and exhausted, but altogether incredibly happy - the happiest I had been in a very, very long time.
To this day, I sit in wonder that such a seemingly random series of events could have led me to a life of a happiness that I never would have thought possible. The timing had to be perfect, everything had to be said exactly as it had, and because of the good nature of my friends, led me to a chance that I took despite its great odds against me, and made me one of the luckiest men alive. I played my hand, and managed to take the hand of the most amazing woman I've ever known. And the rest, of course, is history...

No comments: